How to Verify Income from Government Benefits

How to Verify Income from Government Benefits

Many household members get Social Security, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), or other government benefits. To certify and recertify households correctly, you must count these benefits as part of a household’s income and verify the amounts with the appropriate government agency [HUD Handbook 4350.3, par. 5-12(A)(1). Your state housing agency might let you accept the “award letter” the household gets from the government agency as proof of the household member’s benefits.

Full Article Access:

Full access to complete articles from Tax Credit Housing Management Insider is for subscribers only.

Not yet ready to subscribe?