Federal Money That Cannot Be Counted as Household Income

Federal Money That Cannot Be Counted as Household Income

Some of the households living at your site may be receiving other federal assistance. However, when determining a household’s income for project-based Section 8 tenant rent, do you know which ones to exclude?

The “Fact Sheet for HUD Assisted Residents, Project-Based Section 8,” lists federally mandated exclusions when determining income. Among the items included:

  • Value of the allotment provided to an eligible household under the Food Stamp Act of 1977
  • Payments or allowances made under the Department of Health and Human Services’ Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program
  • Payments received under programs funded in whole or in part under the Job Training Partnership Act
  • Amounts of scholarships funded under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, including awards under the federal work-study program or under the Bureau of Indian Affairs student assistance programs.
  • Payments received from programs funded under Title V of the Older Americans Act of 1985
  • Allowance, earnings, and payments to AmeriCorps participants under the National and Community Service Act of 1990
  • Any amount of crime victim compensation (under the Victims of Crime Act) received through crime victim assistance (or payment or reimbursement of the cost of such assistance) as determined under the Victims of Crime Act because of the commission of a crime against the applicant under the Victims of Crime Act

The above is only a partial list. For more information, go to: www.hud.gov.